Involved-field irradiation in definitive chemoradiotherapy for T4 squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus

  • M. Li Shandong Cancer Hospital and Institute
  • F. Zhao Shandong Cancer Hospital and Institute
  • X. Zhang Shandong Cancer Hospital and Institute
  • F. Shi Shandong Cancer Hospital and Institute
  • H. Zhu Shandong Cancer Hospital and Institute
  • A. Han Shandong Cancer Hospital and Institute
  • Y. Zhang Shandong Cancer Hospital and Institute
  • L. Kong Shandong Cancer Hospital and Institute
  • J. Yu Shandong Cancer Hospital and Institute
Keywords: Esophageal cancer, T4 disease, chemoradiotherapy, involved-field irradiation, patterns of failure

Abstract

Objectives

Definitive concurrent chemoradiotherapy (ccrt) is currently a therapeutic option for locally advanced esophageal cancer. However, clinical practice differs with respect to the target volume for irradiation. The purpose of the present study was to analyze failure patterns and survival, and to determine the feasibility of using involved-field irradiation (ifi) with concurrent chemotherapy for T4 squamous cell carcinoma (scc) of the esophagus.

Methods

Between January 2003 and January 2013, 56 patients with clinical T4M0 scc of the esophagus received ccrt using ifi. The radiation field included the primary tumour and clinically involved lymph nodes. Target volumes and sites of failure were analyzed, as were treatment-related toxicity and survival time.

Results

In this 56-patient cohort, 13 patients (23.2%) achieved a complete response, and 21 (37.5%) achieved a partial response, for a total response rate of 60.7%. The major toxicities experienced were leucocytopenia and esophagitis, with 14 patients (25.0%) experiencing grade 3 toxicities. At a median follow-up of 34 months, 48 patients (85.7%) had experienced failure: 39 (69.6%) in-field, 7 (12.5%) elective nodal, and 19 (33.9%) distant. Only 1 patient (1.8%) experienced isolated elective nodal failure. The 1-, 2-, and 3-year survival rates were 39.3%, 21.4%, and 12.5% respectively.

Conclusions

For patients with T4M0 scc of the esophagus, definitive ccrt using ifi resulted in an acceptable rate of isolated elective nodal failure and an overall survival comparable to that achieved with elective nodal irradiation. A limited radiation therapy target volume, including only clinically involved lesions, would therefore be a feasible choice for this patient subgroup.

Author Biographies

M. Li, Shandong Cancer Hospital and Institute
Department of Radiation Oncology
F. Zhao, Shandong Cancer Hospital and Institute
Department of Radiation Oncology
X. Zhang, Shandong Cancer Hospital and Institute
Department of Radiation Oncology
F. Shi, Shandong Cancer Hospital and Institute
Department of Radiation Oncology
H. Zhu, Shandong Cancer Hospital and Institute
Department of Radiation Oncology
A. Han, Shandong Cancer Hospital and Institute
Department of Radiation Oncology
Y. Zhang, Shandong Cancer Hospital and Institute
Department of Radiation Oncology
L. Kong, Shandong Cancer Hospital and Institute
Department of Radiation Oncology
J. Yu, Shandong Cancer Hospital and Institute
Department of Radiation Oncology
Published
2016-04-18
How to Cite
Li, M., Zhao, F., Zhang, X., Shi, F., Zhu, H., Han, A., Zhang, Y., Kong, L., & Yu, J. (2016). Involved-field irradiation in definitive chemoradiotherapy for T4 squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus. Current Oncology, 23(2), e131-e137. https://doi.org/10.3747/co.23.2846
Section
Radiation Oncology